Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brrrrrrrrr.


We had a wonderful week of writing working on Allertiation.  I found these great lesson ideas from Cara Carroll over at The First Grade Parade

This anchor chart is also from The First Grade Parade.  I tried to look at her anchor chart and then create some of my own alliterations.  My daughter Madisyn did not like the one about Madisyn making major messes :).

 
I then wrote their names on chart paper and they had a chance to think to themselves about what alliteration they could make using their name, think with a partner to come up with more ideas, and then we shared them as a group.  They all had a blast! 
After we came up with alliterations using everyone's names we had them go into the computer lab and type their alliteration.  I was even brave enough to try to teach them how to highlight the text and change the font colors.  They did very well!  Here are some pictures of some student work.  Sorry for the dark pictures- I have to remember to open up my shades when I take pictures.  There are too many outside playground distractions if I leave them open :).

DeShea likes to disco dance at dawn.
 

Amarie arrives on an angry alligator.

Tom takes tigers to Tim's truck.

For target time I have been choosing to work on math facts from my math fact strategy packet.  If you would like to see an outline of the facts I have mapped out for my first graders you can see one here.  We just completed the +10 and -10 off the decade this week and my students do not yet fully understand the concept of adding tens off the decade so I will give them one more week.  Otherwise they have +1, -1, +0, -1, +2, -2, +5, -5 (with multiples of 5), and doubles.  Before I even started any facts I made sure to really focus on number before, number after, and skip counting both forwards and backwards by 1, 2, 5, and 10.  I have a number of math products that I have finished and just need to post at my Teachers pay Teachers store at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Tina-Parker

Some of you may know that I have been trying to keep up with two blogs and failing miserably this school year.  I have decided to combine both blogs together to hopefully do a better job blogging more consistently.  My other blog was a math blog designed to provide resources to teachers in my district, but a new district wiki will be the new home for those resources.  I will still post about math on this blog along with pictures of activities I have created for my students. 

Next week we will be focusing on inferring and we have some great activites planned.

Have a great weekend!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment